Thursday, September 24, 2009

State Leadership Conference for Chapter Leaders (SLCCL)

State Leadership Conference for Chapter Leaders themed ‘The Amazing Race Destination: Leadership’ was a week of fun, friends, discovery, and service for the about 130 members present.
For a select few, however, it was all about the pranks…. ;). I don’t want to mention names, but their initials were Alex Murdock and Kelsey Mussman. Shaving cream, rainbow shorts, and mattresses were involved in these acts of trickiness, but they quickly learned that they can’t mess with the best when it comes to pulling excellent pranks…
One of my favorite parts of the week was Thursday morning service projects. I was on the squad removing invasive species from grassy areas at Deep Portage. Pulling weeds is fun enough in itself, but it was a huge bonus when we located all kinds of wild raspberries and strawberries along the way. It wasn’t too long until we were busted by the man (AKA the nice lady who explained which plants to extract) and we weren’t really allowed to practice our hunter/gatherer skills.
I made countless friends throughout this week and learned a great deal about what motivates them and that in turn made me reflect on why I do what I do. Everyone has their own way of learning and gathering information, but my favorite way to gain knowledge is through conversation with others. Thank you to all you members at SLCCL for sharing a piece of you with me. It was a blast working with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment