Thursday, November 5, 2009

National FFA Convention

Every year I look forward to the 3rd week of October...
Come on, you know... a big celebration, everyone coming together for a common purpose, new and old friends reunite. YES! Its my birthday! Just kidding, but something that is much more exciting than me waving good bye to my teenage years this year was attending the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, IN.
It was a totally different experience going to convention as a delegate. This year there were 9 delegates from Minnesota representing our membership. We discussed for hours within our respective committees as we wrestled through issues that the National Association is faced with. I was a member of the Post Secondary Retention and Engagement committee where we worked to more clearly define Collegiate FFA and how it can be more appealing to college students. Other committees focused on delivery options of New Horizons FFA Magazine, national dues increase, and many others.
There were many parts of the convention that were incredible, but I really enjoyed several of the keynote speakers. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs was so down to earth and genuine. I will probably job shadow him someday and take over his show. Josh Sundquist: BEST SPEAKER EVER. I felt like this guy was a good friend of mine by the time he stepped off the stage. I was so inspired by him to be a speaker like that.
Equally as awesome, were all the awesome people I met and got to catch up with! Meeting with other state officers and learning about their diverse ways of carrying out the FFA mission was very energizing. Its my favorite way to learn... through the conversations I have with friends.
Its been way to long since I've seen my friends from SGLC and SLCCL. And good thing I got to see a few of them at the state photo! A special shout out to the Sleepy Eye FFA who always graciously adopts me!
Don't for get to keep your spirits high for the rest of the year... remember all the excitement and energy you felt at National Convention and bring that back to your schools and chapters to light someone elses fire for FFA.

No comments:

Post a Comment